When it comes to keeping fit and healthy, we’re often overexposed to diet advice, weight loss routines and exercise suggestions. However, having a healthy sex life is also a key part of maintaining a healthy body and mind. This article will look a range of health benefits that can be gained by practicing and having a healthy sex life.
1. Reduces your blood pressure – Systolic blood pressure is the value recorded first when your blood pressure readings are taken. Studies have shown and indicated that sexual intercourse actually results in a lower systolic blood pressure level and reading for individuals.
2. Aids the maintenance of a healthy immune system – The immune system benefits from the individual having sex as it promotes a higher antibody count than usual. The immune system is essential in fending off infection and preventing us from falling ill or being sick. Studies have also highlighted that those with a healthy sex life tend to take less sick days. However, there are other ways that the immune system should be enhanced too, such as through regular exercise, eating healthily, resting and getting enough sleep. Being up to date with vaccines, flu shots, and using condoms also protects your immune system and boosts your resistance to sickness and disease.
3. Contributes to your exercise time – Sex has been shown to burn approximately five calories for every minute of practice. Although this cannot be sustainably practiced as a person’s only form of exercise, it can give the heart a great work out and put many different muscles to work.
4. Increases your libido – Libido is a term used to describe sexual desire. Like anything else, increasing your practice of sex will increase your desire to do it more often. Increasing the regularity of sex can also improve elasticity and blood flow within the reproductive system, making it all the more enjoyable and pleasurable.
5. Boosts bladder control – Studies carried out with women have shown that regular practice of sex can improve the pelvis and the muscles within it. This can contribute to a strong pelvic floor, vital for the prevention of incontinence (experienced by approximately 30% of women throughout their lives). The contractions of muscles during sex promotes their strengthening.
6. Reduces your risk of having a heart attack – A healthy sex life promotes a healthy heart. It gives the heart a great work out in the beating and pumping of blood around the body. Sex also promotes a healthy balance of the hormones testosterone and estrogen to remain in balance, reducing your risk of developing cancer through hormonal imbalances.
7. Improve your quality of sleep – The feelings of relaxation and tiredness after sex is due to the release of a hormone called prolactin. This can promote the action of falling asleep and allow you to have a more restful night.